Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hippie's other side

Other side by mad4marvin
Other side, a photo by mad4marvin on Flickr.

The story behind this turtle is actually really cute. One day I decided to make a whale out of Amy Gaine's Little Knitted Creatures (I am sorry, Ms. Gaines if the title of your book is really Knitted Little Creatures..I always mix it up.) In the book the whale is purple but I decided to do him in gold and brown. As I was working on the whale my 6 year old great niece, Carmen, asked to help me. I allowed her to unroll the yarn (she isn't a knitter...yet!!) Then she started looking through my copy of the knitting book. She stopped at the turtle and said: "Aunt Cathy, can you make this?" I told her that I could BUT I did not have two different color greens. She looked at me very seriously and said: "If you are making it, can't you make it any color?" So I set about to make him any color like my niece suggested! He's Rainbow Colored!!! I call him Hippie Turtle!
He is made from completely recycled yarn! The green is a nice unlabeled wool I bought at Goodwill for $1.25 and the rainbow is an unknown yarn I have from unraveling a children's sweater I paid .99 cents for at Goodwill! More pics to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment