Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sick...Sicker....Sickest....

So far September has proven to be a difficult month...my family is being plagued by illness!! First, my 18 year old niece, Rissa, was struck down with a mysterious ailment/infection and has been in the hospital since last Saturday...9/11...and is expected to be in the hospital for another 5 days! It took a lot of testing to rule out bacterial and viral meningitis (she was symptomatic for both) before they narrowed it down to an ear infection that had moved into her brain. She needs intensive antibiotics and more tests. The doctors are concerned with memory loss and other issues that might mean the infection has caused damage to her brain. Also, they are concerned with her thyroid and pitutary glands...poor girl!! My sister is running herself crazy with worry and fear...this is her oldest daughter and for a long while..her only child. My nephew-in-law, T, was released from the hospital 9-12...he had MRSA and complications from a leg injury from a four-wheeler accident...he's ok...NOW Kylie is in the hospital....Children's Hospital of King's Daughters to be exact. She came down with a fever that would not go away. First she went to Obici in Suffolk but they sent her home after a few hours. Then when her fever STILL wouldn't break her mom called her doctor who said she needed to go to CHKD. THANK GAWD FOR THAT! She has viral meningitis!! At 5 weeks old, her little system could not handle exposure to something like the common cold and so it mutated into a form of menigitis...not contagious to others though or else I know my entire family would be stricken with it in a matter of days...we all see each other almost on a daily basis in one form or another so it would pass easily among us!
I have been sick for over a week myself....nothing deadly or hospital stay worthy...just a cold but it seems that it is going around. Luckily, I am almost over it but feel bad that I gave it to Jamie and her family! Did not realize I was soooo contagious (and before anyone thinks it-I did not infect Rissa or Kylie since my cold did not orginate with me--other members of the family had it first so I do not feel guilty!)
September has proven to be difficult and sickening--literally!!

No comments:

Post a Comment