Friday, March 25, 2011

Excited about 2nd Annual Knit and Crochet Blog Week 2011!!!

      I am so excited about participating in the 2nd Annual Knit and Crochet Blog Week 2011! I have already started thinking about how to respond to the prompts that Eskimimi made and cannot wait to read what others have written! I got an e-mail today about the week and how to use the tagging system that Eskimimi set up. It seems that she came up with the tagging system so that other bloggers can find each other on Google easier-purely genius! It took me a minute to figure out what exactly how to work the tagging system but I think I got it now and I am raring to go!!! I know that I am no where near as a great blogger as others out there and I think this is going to give me a great opportunity to learn from others.
     Ok....enough about my excitement! Now to talk about something realllllly important: my newest yarn find. Last weekend I took a trip to the Metro Richmoond Zoo with my sister, my 4 nieces, 1 nephew, 3 great-nephews, and my great-niece. It was a great trip! I haven't been to a zoo since I was little and I have never been to the Richmond Zoo. It is not as big or as nice as the Norfolk Zoo (which is where I used to spend every Saturday when I was little) but they have a nice set-up nonetheless. My buddy for the zoo was my then 2 year old nephew, Tay (he just turned 3 on yesterday) and he was amazed by the animals (and a little scared) We got to ride on something called a "Safari Train" where animals were roaming free as we rode in a customized golf cart. One even put her nose right into our section!!
      After spending 4 hours wandering around the zoo, I decided I had to see the gift shop before I left. Small but great! As I was checking out I spotted my lucky yarn find! Inside the glass case, in a bowl, sat 3 skeins of gray yarn. The sign stated that it was made from animals on-site! I have never had yarn made from real animals (I am more of an acrylic type of girl!) and since it benefited the animals-I bought a skein. For $8, it is by far the most expensive yarn I have ever owned. I took it home and undid the hank to make a ball--it is huge!! Almost like a double skein!!! I am now making a project with it that I will be posting during Blog Week 2011!!!
      As of yesterday, I had no idea what kind of animal contributed to my yarn. However, my sister called the zoo and found out that it is actually from 2 different kind of sheep-black and white-which is why it is gray-silly me-thought it was dyed! Sooo mystery solved! Yay! Another surprise came when I started knitting with the yarn! Beautiful flecks of solid black and solid white speckle the yarn. I thought it was just gray but now it is turning into a nice almost varigated yarn! NICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment